Children & Young People
My name is Jodie Griffiths-Cook and I am both the Children & Young People Commissioner and the Public Advocate.
My job as the Children & Young People Commissioner (CYPC) is to help make Canberra a better place for children and young people.
My role includes:
- promoting the rights of children and young people,
- consulting and talking with children and young people,
- encouraging other organisations to listen to children and young people, and seriously consider their views in decision making,
- providing advice to government and community agencies about how to improve service delivery for children and young people.
The best things about my job are that I get to:
- talk to children and young people and find out about the things that really matter for them, and what they think about issues that affect them,
- take what I hear from children and young people and use this to speak to government, law makers, community advocates, teachers and service providers about how we can make Canberra better for children and young people.
If something is not right, I speak up about it; if something can be done better, I suggest changes. All the ideas and insights that children and young people share with me help shape my work and what I focus on.
This word cloud shows some of the things that I have heard from children and young people.
If you would like to know more, or you would like to talk with me, contact us by
Phone: 02 6205 2222 or send an email.
The CYPC is an independent statutory office, which means that we are funded by the ACT Government, but independent from the Government.
The legislation that describes what we do is:
Human Rights Commission Act 2005
You can also find out more information about my role as Public Advocate.