Complaints about abuse, neglect or exploitation of vulnerable Canberrans

Complaints about abuse, neglect or exploitation of a vulnerable person can be made to the Commission. Complaints can also be made if you think a vulnerable person is at risk of abuse, neglect or exploitation.

A vulnerable person is

  • a person older than 60 who has a disability or impairment or for some reason is socially isolated or unable to participate in community life.
  • any adult with a disability (defined in the Disability Services Act 1991) which includes an intellectual, physical, sensory or psychiatric impairment.

A complaint can be made by the vulnerable person, a carer, friend, family member, service provider or other person concerned about the vulnerable person.

A complaint can be made about any person or service provider who is putting the vulnerable person at risk of, or causing the vulnerable person abuse, neglect or exploitation.

You can call us for information and to discuss options for addressing your concerns or you can make a complaint.

Where we can, and where its appropriate, we will get the consent of the vulnerable person to deal with the concerns raised about them.

In some cases we might deal with the complaint as a systemic matter where it raises concerns that a service provider or an organisations practices are contributing to abuse, neglect or exploitation of vulnerable people.

You can fill in a complaint form or you can contact us.

We can handle claims of abuse, neglect and exploitation of vulnerable people

Vulnerable people are protected in the ACT from neglect, abuse or exploitation.

Anyone who has reasonable grounds to believe that an adult with disability or older adult is subject to, or at risk of, abuse, neglect or exploitation can make an enquiry or report to the Commission.

  • Complaints or concerns can be anonymous.
  • People who complain to us have protections under the law.
  • Complaints can be made to the Commission by phone, email or online.

There are many ways the Commission responds to enquiries and complaints

We provide Information: We can talk through options for trying to resolve the concerns informally, provide information and referral options to the person raising their concern with us. This might include referral to advocacy services or legal advice, the Public Advocate, or helping you liaise with service providers. We will try where we can to resolve the matter quickly & informally.

Investigate & Resolve the complaint or Report: We may investigate the issues raised and try to resolve the complaint through conciliation, or where we cannot resolve a complaint we might publish a report and make recommendations to improve service provision.  Our intention is always to improve the safety of the adult and uphold their rights.

Depending on the nature of the concern or issue raised we may share information, or part of it, to another agency or service like the ACT Ombudsman, the Aged Care Quality & Safety Commission, the Senior Practitioner or the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission.

You can fill in a complaint form or you can contact us.