Oversight and Monitoring
The Public Advocate monitors the effectiveness of systems that exist to provide support to children, young people and adults experiencing vulnerability.
Our oversight and monitoring role includes:
- monitoring the compliance of the mental health sector with the statutory obligations detailed in the Mental Health Act 2015 and the Mental Health (Secure Facilities) Act 2016,
- monitoring and oversight for research consents, and medical and mental health treatment consents made by guardians under the Guardianship and Management of Property Act 1991,
- monitoring of enduring powers of attorney under the Guardianship and Management of Property Act 1991 and certain actions taken by attorneys under the Powers of Attorney Act 2006,
- monitoring the compliance of Child and Youth Protection Services (CYPS) in accordance with the Children and Young People Act 2008, including monitoring and oversight functions in relation to the Bimberi Youth Justice Centre,
- having the right of appearance in the Children’s Court for criminal, and care and protection matters.