Some Useful Links
ACT Care & Protection Services
If you are worried about the safety or well-being of a child or young person, you should contact ACT Care & Protection Services on 1300 556-729. This is a free call. You can also visit Care & Protection’s website.
Other independent agencies that can help children and young people resolve problems in the ACT
- ACT Ombudsman – The ACT Ombudsman assists to resolve complaints and concerns about government agencies.
- Legal Aid ACT – Legal Aid ACT provides free legal advice and representation to those people who are unable to afford their own lawyer. They also provide a free Legal Aid Helpline, 9.00am-4.00pm, Monday to Friday, on 1300 654-314.
- Public Advocate of the ACT – The Public Advocate represents the best interests of children and young people involved in the care & protection system, the youth justice system and the mental health system.
Other Children’s Commissioners & Guardians around Australia
There is a Children’s Commissioner, or Children’s Guardian, in all other Australian States and Territories. Click on the following links to find out more.
- New South Wales Commission for Children & Young People
- New South Wales Children’s Guardian
- Northern Territory Office of the Children’s Commissioner
- Queensland Commission for Children & Young People and Child Guardian
- South Australia Guardian for Children & Young People
- Tasmania Commissioner for Children
- Victoria Office of the Child Safety Commissioner
- Western Australia Commissioner for Children & Young People
Click here for a summary table about all of the Australian Children’s Commissioners & Guardians.
The Australian Children’s Commissioners and Guardians (ACCG) meet twice every year to discuss issues of mutual interest. Click here for the ACCG Terms of Reference.
ACCG Model Charter of Rights for Children in Youth Justice Facilities
Detention of children is a last resort and must respect human rights. The ACCG Model Charter of Rights sets out key protections that should apply in all youth justice facilities. Click here for a copy of the ACCG Model Charter of Rights for Children in Youth Justice Facilities.
Some information and resources about the participation of children and young people
- Involving Children & Young People: Participation Guidelines – Western Australia Commissioner for Children & Young People.
- Taking Participation Seriously – New South Wales Commission for Children & Young People.
Some information about child safe/child friendly organisations
- A Guide for Creating a Child Safe Organisation – Victoria Office of the Child Safety Commissioner.
ACT Children & Young People Death Review Committee
The ACT Children & Young People Commissioner is a member of the ACT Children & Young People Death Review Committee. Click here to vist the Committee’s website.
Other agencies and services in the ACT